The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, has refuted claims in some quarters that President Muhammadu Buhari was planning to gag the Nigerian media, especially the social media circle.
The minister said there was nothing of such, stressing that Nigeria media was acknowledged as one of the freest in the world.
Speaking at the 39th Session of the General Conference of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation in Paris on Tuesday, Mohammed said that the freedom of the media had been further enhanced through the Freedom of Information Act, adding that government would continue to make efforts to further enable the media to serve the people better.
Contributing to a debate on the “UN Plan of Action on Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity’’, the minister said the “Nigerian Government does not engage in impunities against journalists and will never tolerate such.”
“This effort is intended not only to produce a robust and healthy media, but for the journalism profession to continue to thrive under a conducive environment.
“The right to Freedom of Information, commonly understood as the right to access information held by public offices, is now widely recognised in Nigeria as a fundamental human right.
“By this act, the Nigerian Government is doing its utmost best to ensure accountability, transparency and openness,’’ he said.
Few days ago, Femi Fani-Kayode, former Aviation Minister alleged that President Muhammadu Buhari as planning to censor social media in Nigeria